What A Mom NeedsPosted by: Sherice Torres on April 23rd, 2012
In the hustle and bustle of life with kids in tow, it’s easy to forget about yourself. I mean, really, who could blame you? When you’re focused on wiping noses, packing lunches, doing laundry, checking homework, sometimes keeping a day job and generally keeping your children from killing their fool-selves, we moms can forget that we have needs too. And I don’t mean basic survival needs like food, water and adequate sleep (we’ve given up on those YEARS ago). I mean the things that maintain the teensy sliver of sanity that we have left.
So, in no particular order, here are a few things that every mom needs:
• Time to sit in silence in your own house
• A few hours alone with a good book or, even better, a dear friend
• To pee in peace
• Permission to admit when you’ve made a mistake or don’t know the answer
• Rocky road ice cream
• To spend a full day in your pajamas – by choice
• A reminder that you are beautiful… and not just on the inside
• To do one nice thing for yourself – and ONLY yourself – every day (even if it’s just locking yourself in the bathroom to read a magazine)
• To eat at least one meal each day sitting down
• A full night’s sleep at least once per week (The BadAssMama is a realist, people. I know this isn’t going to happen EVERY day)
• To know that you are a great mom… whether your kids remember to tell you so or not
When was the last time you allowed yourself any of the above?