YOU MAY ALSO LIKE
Chicken and Dumplings is a dish I’ve only discovered since moving to America, and I love them! This recipe gives the classic comfort food an exotic twist.
3 Tablespoons butter
2 Tablespoons canola oil
1 cup all-purpose flour
4 chicken breasts, bone in, skin on
4 chicken thighs, bone in, skin on
salt and pepper, to taste
2 carrots, diced
2 celery stalks, diced
1 yellow onion, diced
1 tablespoon ground thyme
1/2 tablespoon ground turmeric
8 cups/ 2 cartons low sodium chicken broth
1 cup heavy cream
2 cups all-purpose flour
4 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon kosher salt
3/4 cup whole milk
4 tablespoons canola oil
2 tablespoons fresh parsley, minced
- Season chicken with salt and pepper, place in flour and completely coat.
- Heat oil and butter in a heavy based pot over a medium high heat. Brown chicken all over. This may take you two batches. Set aside on a platter. (Do not cook chicken all the way through, we just want it browned)
- In the same pot, cook all carrots, celery and onion for about 7 minutes until softened. Add thyme and turmeric and stir well to coat the vegetables.
- Add in the chicken broth, bring to a simmer. Add back in the chicken. Cover and simmer for 15-20 minutes. Now make the dough, combine all those ingredients and set aside.
- Remove chicken from pot and, using a fork, remove skin and discard. Remove chicken and shred using two forks. It will be hot, so be careful.
- Add chicken back to the pot (this seems like a process but it’s well worth it) along with the cream and stir.
- Drop tablespoon amounts of dough into the pot until all used up. Cover and simmer for 10-15 minutes until dumplings are cooked through. Season to taste.
- Scoop into bowls and sprinkle with chopped parsley.