YOU MAY ALSO LIKE
Breakfast is probably my favorite meal of the day. Try out this breakfast bake the next time you’re cooking for a few people. It’s perfect for a Sunday brunch.
1 loaf of whole grain bread, crusts removed, cubed
1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil
8 slices bacon, cut into 1⁄2 inch pieces
1 large onion, diced
1 (26 oz) can crushed tomatoes, drained
1 teaspoon crushed red pepper
3/4 cup extra sharp cheddar, shredded
3/4 cup mozzarella, shredded
1 green onion, chopped
salt and pepper
1. Preheat the oven to 375°F. Toss bread and olive oil together in a bowl, sprinkle with salt and pepper to taste. Toss onto a baking sheet and bake for 10 minutes.
2. Meanwhile, in a saucepan, cook bacon until browned (about 8 minutes). Set aside on a paper towel to drain. Keep about 2 tablespoons of bacon fat in the pan.
3. Add the onion to the pan and cook for 3 minutes. Add tomatoes, red pepper and cook for a further 2 minutes.
4. Return all ingredients to a large bowl along with cheeses and scallion. Toss until well combined. Transfer to glass baking dish, cover with foil and bake for about 25 – 30 minutes.
5. Using a spatula or a cup, press 6 holes in the bread. Break and crack an egg into each indentation.
6. Return to the oven and bake for a further 10 minutes (more or less depending on how well done you want your eggs).
7. Scoop out with a spoon and serve immediately. This is great to serve with some hot chili sauce.