With summer around the corner, cookouts are a MUST! To ease into summer fun, here are 3 quick, healthy, and delicious recipes to start the season right!
My first recipe is for my Watermelon Salsa. For our family BBQs, rather than the typical tomato salsa, we use refreshing watermelon. It’s very refreshing, and it takes less than 5 minutes to prepare! The vibrant pink color will beautify any barbecue table, and the combination of the salty tortilla chips and sweet salsa will please even the pickiest of tastebuds.
For the main course, fire up the grill! This Grilled Lemon Chicken with Rosemary is easy and delicious. My children always ask for seconds! This recipe also offers a great way for kids to get involved, too. Hand your kids one half of a fresh lemon, and let them squeeze lemon juice onto the chicken while you’re preparing it. Any grilled veggie or salad will compliment this dish well.
In keeping with the easy-to-prepare theme, I’ve included my 4 Ingredient Gluten Free Peanut Butter Cookie for dessert. My kids always love to help bake these cookies — and eat them!
Photo credit: Mandy Fayne
½ cup watermelon, chopped
½ cup red onion, diced
1 avocado, peeled and chopped
1 lime, freshly squeezed
1 tbsp fresh basil, shredded
Salt and pepper to taste
1. Combine all ingredients into a bowl.
3. Serve along side tortilla chips.
Grilled Lemon Chicken
Photo credit: Foodstirs
4 6 oz chicken breast cutlets
2 lemons, freshly squeezed
1 tbsp sea salt
1 tbsp pepper, freshly ground
2 tbsp dried rosemary
1. Place all 4 chicken breasts in a medium-sized bowl.
2. Squeeze the juice from both lemons onto the chicken breasts until they are drenched in lemon juice.
3. Thoroughly sprinkle salt, pepper and rosemary on top of the chicken breasts.
4. Allow the meat to marinate for 15 minutes – 1 hour.
5. Grill the chicken on each side for 5-6 minutes or until thoroughly cooked.
Gluten Free Peanut Butter Cookies
2 cups crunchy peanut butter
¾ cup white sugar
1 tsp baking soda
1. Preheat oven to 400 F.
2. Combine all ingredients into a mixing bowl until smooth.
3. Place 1 heaping tbsp of batter onto greased cookie sheet. Repeat, placing each ball of dough about 1 inch apart.
4. With the back of a fork slightly flatten each ball of cookie dough, until each is about one quarter of an inch thick.
5. Bake cookies for 10-13 minutes or until cookies appear golden brown around the edges.