The day you become a mom is the day that you transition into becoming a bona fide adult. We’re supposed to embrace responsibility and let go of the things that kept us mired in our own childhoods.
But those things were kinda awesome, which is probably why lots of us get our claws into the nostalgia of our youth and hang on for dear life.
We say, no more shame! We still have a deep and abiding love for lots of things youthful, and we’re going to be… well, not exactly “proud”, but definitely “loud”.
We sat down at Mom Babble and came up with a list of the 10 Things We (Still) Love as Adults that We Probably Shouldn’t.
1. Anything on the CW. The Originals, Arrow, Supernatural…need we keep going? These shows are fun and keep us seriously entertained. What’s the you say? They’re aimed at teens and early 20-somethings? Well, so what! We love ‘em anyway.
2. Frappucinos, milk shakes…anything ice cream. We reject the notion that adults should love FroYo first and foremost. “Give me Cold Stone or give me death!” ~Patrick Henry’s 19th grandchild
3. Boy bands. You’ll never convince us that NKOTB or N’Sync aren’t cool. We may also have a small affection for One Direction, but that’s mostly the sentimentality talking.
4. Foot PJs and fuzzy socks. They keep our feet warm and our faces smiling. There’s no downside to that.
5. YA novels. The Hunger Games, The Selection, Twilight, and of course, Harry Potter. Because escapism.
6. All things HP. Harry Potter gets his own category, because it’s not just the books we love. We’ll take theBuzzFeed Sorting Hat Quiz as many times as it takes to get into anything other than Slytherin, and we love a good HP wedding.
7. Grocery store candy. The more mysterious, the better. White Airheads and mystery-flavored Dum Dums are personal favorites.
8. Taylor Swift. She irritated the heck out of us with all those teardrops and guitars, but now we just want to Shake It Off. Her album 1989 is like a little taste of our 1980s childhoods made new again, so we’re going to put it on repeat until our kids (or husbands) can’t take any more.
9. The crunchy marshmallows in hot chocolate mix. These don’t need an excuse. They’re delicious.
10. They Might Be Giants. Remember them? They debuted in the 80s (just like us!) as an edgy rock band and have managed to maintain some semblance of fame for the last 30 years. The twist? As their lives have grown and changed, so has their music. They’re currently most popular for singing the Mickey Mouse Clubhouse ditty “Hot Diggity Dog”, but they have a lot more to offer! Check out all their albums of kid-friendly songs and give them a listen. Personal favorite: The Paleontologist Song. There’s no way that doesn’t make you smile.
You may frown on us for our love of all things tween, but we’re going to keep on loving them, no matter what you say.